Friday, January 10, 2020

Freaky Friday

This morning sure got off to a rousing start.  

At about 1:30, the Old Man was standing in my doorway telling me "get up, get up."  I bolted out of bed, and started yelling "Are you having a spell?  Is your heart ok?  Can you breathe?"  He immediately assured me all was well with him, but that an SUV was on it's side in our front yard. 

I had put in my ear plugs when I went to bed, like I always do, so I didn't hear the commotion.  He said at first he thought it was thunder, since storms were forecasted.  He said he tried to go back to sleep but heard the doorbell.  Someone in a car behind the SUV had called 911 and was telling us there was an SUV on its side in our front yard; like we couldn't see it six feet from our front porch. 

Before we knew it, there were at least 7 police cars, a long fire truck, a shorter rescue truck, an ambulance, and the fire chief's truck out in front of our house.  It was like we were in an episode of "Chicago Fire" as we watched them use the jaws to cut off the top of the SUV as if they were opening a can of sardines.  The driver was alive when they finally got him out, and we pray he stayed that way.

It was slightly amusing at one point when we looked out to see over a dozen police and fire responders holding their phones up taking pictures of the overturned SUV. 

They left and the tow truck came and hauled the SUV off, but not after he left a giant crater in our front yard.  

When I came home from work this afternoon, I stopped at the end of the driveway and looked at the yard, and thought how it was a miracle that the SUV missed the utility poles in our yard.  


Needless to say, we are both ready for a nap. 

No comments: