Monday, October 21, 2019

Team Minnie Update

Team Minnie Update Monday 10/21
Today, Minnie started on the next phase of her rehab. This morning, she moved from Park Terrace to Landmark of Iroquois Park on Gagel. Warning - this is going to be a long update.
She didn't feel good at all today, but she made the short trip over there and the transition like a trooper.
Today's prayer request for my FB pray-ers -- that she feel better tomorrow, and eat and have strength to start more PT.
Now for the miracle stories to share with you.
This phase started a week ago when Park Terrace said that the she had reached a plateau in her therapy and that she would be discharged soon. I immediately started researching online and talking to people and getting recommendations for a good facility for her. We started praying that the Lord would lead us to the right place for her.
I talked with the admissions directors at three facilities in Valley Station and Shively, and Park Terrace had quickly faxed over Minnie's info as soon as they had called for it. But as a few days went on, I never heard anything from them - even after leaving a few voice mail messages. Then last Thursday, I went online to the Medicare website and read reviews of every facility in Louisville that was close to home. One facility stuck out - Landmark of Iroquois Park. It got awesome reviews from Medicare. I prayed before I I called and spoke with the admissions director - I asked for the Lord to lead me to the right place for my sweet mother. The lady said she'd call Park Terrace and have them fax Minnie's info to them. And all the meanwhile, I never heard nothing back from the other three places. And still, we kept praying that the Lord would lead us to the right place. I have a feeling you know where this story is heading.
Friday morning, the admissions director at Park Terrace called and said she got the info, and would be going over to Park Terrace to meet Minnie. She called back an hour later. When I answered the phone, I could tell that the woman had been crying and her voice was quivering. I immediately thought they weren't going to accept her. The woman told me that on the way over to meet Minnie, she had been praying. Her son had died a few weeks ago. She said when she got to Park Terrace, she told Minnie that she was a friend of mind and wanted to meet her. Minnie put up those sweet little arms and reached in for a hug and told the woman "God will take care of you." The woman said she had to run out of the room so Minnie wouldn't see her crying. She said she went back to Landmark and told everyone she saw about that . And the people at Landmark said they loved Minnie even before they met her.
Fast forward to this morning when the move happened. Like I said, Minnie wasn't feeling good; she was tired. And was asleep almost as soon as they got her in bed. But before that, two of the aides and her nurse both said how good she did when they got her up to go to the actual bathroom, and then back into bed. We were very encouraged. And we were more encouraged when the occupational therapist and the physical therapist saw her and said they'd be back tomorrow morning, and that she would have two sessions a day.
And another big miracle of the day happened. They hadn't even gotten Minnie situated in her room when the head nurse came up and found us and immediately gave Bud a hug. She is the granddaughter of Bud's best friend from the 60's till he died about 10 years ago. She said she saw Minnie's name pop up on the computer and she said she knew immediately she was "THE Minnie Puckett." She gave us all three hugs, and she assured us that she would take extra good care of Minnie.
And like I said earlier - it's been over a week, and none of the three other facilities have even called me back.
When God is at work, there are NO coincidences.

No comments: