Friday, December 20, 2013

Flashback Friday

Back in the day when I was in elementary school, we could still have Christmas parties on the last day of school before Christmas break. The room mothers (editor’s note: a topic for a future Flashback Friday) would come in shortly after lunch with cupcakes and cookies and Kool-Aid or soft drinks, the school would always give us a plastic stocking full of hard candy and a very cool candy cane pen, and we would exchange gifts. Shortly after Thanksgiving break, the teacher would put our names in a box and we would all draw a name, and you got that person a present. I distinctly remember back in my days of elementary school, the gift had a $2 limit. Yep, two bucks. Back then, you could get a cool gift for two bucks; today; not so much, unless it’s a winning lottery ticket. But I digress. In second grade, I got a bingo game that I played with until the cards wore out. In fourth grade, I got something that I still have today – a cool multi-colored stocking cap. It’s a bit too small for my big head, but I still kept it.

I asked my accountant (yes, I have an accountant to deal with my consulting company stuff)  to do some research for me to figure out what $2 back in the day would be equal to today in 2013. We used 1970 for the “back in the day” year, because I would have been in the second grade in 1970. So adjusted for inflation, $2 in 1970 would be equal to $12.02 today in 2013. As one of my coworkers in my department would say, that’s twelve McChickens.



No comments: