Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Farewell, 2013

Dear 2013, 

I'm not pulling any punches with you; I'm going to come right out and say I'm kinda glad to see you go. 

You started out great in January by letting me have my best birthday ever with my family and friends gathered to celebrate my 50th birthday.  You continued to treat me well in the spring and summer, but you kinda went bi-polar in the fall; my consulting business had my first paying job and my beloved old Blazer was totaled in the parking lot crash at work.  

I know, I know; things could have been a whole lot worse, and I still owe you thanks.  I'm thankful that Mom and Dad are still going strong, though they've slowed down a bit, but they are still healthy and happy.  And more than anything else, I'm thankful for the life lesson you taught this old in 2013: patience.  I kept plugging away and never gave up and was able to get a paying customer, and by not having a running vehicle for over two months now, I was forced to be patient.  The past two and a half months since the crash haven't been easy; I'm the first to admit that it made me bitter and angry for a while.  I also thank you for humility.  It has been a very humbling experience to be 50 years old and have to ask your parents if you can borrow their car.  

So like I said, I'm kinda glad to see you go.  But thanks for what you taught me.  

 

 

No comments: