Wednesday, February 27, 2013

If It Sounds Too Good To Be True . . .

Well, you know the rest of the phrase.  I should have known better.  I ran up to the corner on Monday afternoon and had the clerk scan my dozen or so "winning" tickets that I thought hadn't been redeemed.  Wrong.  They had all been scanned and paid out.  But I did learn a few things.  The first being the title of this post - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  Then the clerk explained the inner workings of the Kentucky Lottery scratch-off tickets.  He said that when the bar code is scanned (what the clerk does when you give them a winning ticket) it is activated and can't be scanned a second time, preventing garbage pickers (and people like me) from getting the tickets out of the garbage can and trying to double dip.  He also said that before they went to this method, the clerk was supposed to tear the ticket across the bar code after they scanned it in, also preventing double-dipping.

At any rate, I did earn quite a few points from the legitimate losing tickets and will keep on getting them from the store and entering them online.  I want that set of Pyrex dishes, damnit. 

No comments: