Friday, February 15, 2013

Flashback Friday

The new building construction at work is a couple of months away from completion, and we're used to seeing the construction workers during the day.  A couple of days ago during lunch, a few of the workers were in the big new lunchroom and one of them reached down and pulled out a folding ruler to measure something.  I almost ran back to my desk to get my phone so I could take a picture of the ruler in action. 

It's been years since I've seen one of the folding rulers.  But being the daughter and granddaughter of carpenters, it was commonplace at The Compound. 

I remember one of the old folding rulers that Grandpa used had a special slide-out metal ruler built in to the first section of the ruler.  And I also remember everyone in the family warning me to be careful not to pinch a finger when folding up the ruler after I finished playing with it.  Maybe I should have warned the construction worker at our office about that.

No comments: