Monday, February 11, 2013

Call Me Dr. Frankenstein

I've created a monster.  And right now, it's pretty much out of control.  It's in the form of my father with his new iPad.

He's been fascinated for months, so for his birthday last month I got him an iPad.  I got a hell of a deal through Craigslist (about 1/3 of the price of a new one) and it still has 11 months on the warranty and also came with a $100 Bluetooth keyboard case.  But I digress.  I've created a monster. 

At first he was happy when he learned to check email.  Then he graduated to the YouVersion Bible app.  Then he became obsessed with Google maps.  And now his latest obsession is Bingo Blitz. In order to get him on this bingo game so he could play along with me, I had to sign him up in Facebook.  Yes, my 79 year old father is on Facebook.  It's a scary thought, given the fact that he just points and taps on anything that looks ineresting on the iPad. It's not that I have anything to hide nor anything I'm ashamed of on my Facebook wall, but it's still unsettling that he doesn't know what he's doing.  So there's no telling what he will tap onto, and no telling who he will inadvertantly ask to be his "friend."  I just have a feeling this is not going to work out well.  He's already obsessed with the bingo game.  Mom just now went off on him because he has the volume turned up as loud as it will go on his iPad and she can't hear her favorite show "Big Bang Theory." Yep, this is not ging to turn out well.  As always, I'll keep you posted.

No comments: