Friday, February 8, 2013

Flashback Friday

Today, with the snowstorm of the century moving through the northeast,  I think back to this time period in 1978, when the Storm of 78 storm had moved through the country. 

I don't remember a whole lot about that storm, other than we didn't go to school for about three weeks straight.  But one thing I do remember is that life went on.  My parents didn't miss any days of work during that mega snow storm.  They just left for work earlier than normal and made their way downtown to the factory in their 1972 Impala.  We didn't lack for much at home in terms of groceries.  I'm pretty sure Mom didn't go to the store a few days before the storm was forecasted to hit and load up on bread and milk.  I don't remember us having to eat dry toast and water during the storm; in fact, I remember my birthday that year being the time that I got the best homemade chocolate cake ever to be baked.  And I don't remember us huddled around a candle or generator, because we never lost power.  It was pretty much business as usual, except for the fact that schools were closed.

During those weeks when schools were closed, us kids in the neighborhood played outside in the snow during the day.  We didn't have the video games or computers that the kids are glued to on snow days today (or any other day for that matter).  There was no Call of Duty Special Ops that kept us on our asses in front of the TV.  We played hard outside.  We had snowball fights, and we even built igloos and snow forts.  And when we had a brave adult to go with us, we went back to the swamp that was frozen over and we skated around on the ice. 

It's a different world today when there's a snow day. 

No comments: