Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Winter Storm Report

TWIT would like to give the official Thumb's Up to the weatherazzi for their accuracy and coverage of the early morning mega storm that blew threw.  They said it would hit Louisville between 2 and 4 a.m., and they were on the money.  The winds started long before that, but it was 3:40 in the morning when the first round of civil defense sirens went off to warn us of tornados in the area.  Also, it was 71 degrees when the storm moved through.

The 'Rents stayed up until 2:00 in case the storm hit earlier, but I went to bed at 11:00.  The key phrase is "went to bed"; note I did not say "went to sleep."  Sleep is something very few people in Kentucky did last night as the very long and wide storm front moved through. I got out of bed at about 3:30, and turned on the TV in my room to watch the weatherazzi's coverage.  When the siren went off, I moved on to the family room to watch the coverage on the big TV.  The 'Rents got up, and we hunkered down in the family room. We didn't go to the basement, but we were prepared and ready to head down. 

We were very, very lucky once again.  As the front moved through, we had maybe two minutes of storm and then just some rain.  But we were pretty nerved up when a tornado was reported on the Indiana side just directly across from us.  We must be living right.

Hardly anyone got any sleep last night, so I know there were cranky adults and kids all over the state today. I don't think I was cranky, but I sure was sleepy.

No comments: