Friday, January 25, 2013

Flashback Friday

This week in the 'Ville, we've had some of the coldest temps in years.  As I drove home today, I noticed that our 'hood Mill Creek was frozen over.  But I'd venture a guess that there's barely a skim of ice on the Creek; not like back in the day.

When I was a kid, before Riverport moved in behind us all, there was a swamp.  This area was at the back of all of the proptery along my section of the road.  It was pretty big.  And in the winter, the water would freeze and it would turn into a big skating and sliding place for us in the 'hood.  And it would stay frozen till well up into March. 

I remember lacing up my skates and going all through the area that was frozen over. Some of the other kids would play a variation of hockey, but most of us would just skate around, just because we could.  I was a pretty good skater back in the day.  Yeah, this means that we had our own ice skates back in the day.  That's because year after year the swamp would always freeze over and we could skate.  And we always had supervision; there were always adults around at the big metal barrels-turned-fire-pits providing warmth, and mothers would always send Thermoses full of hot chocolate for us. 

Flash forward to today.  Riverport has moved in and there is no swamp. There hasn't been a swamp for 25 years or more. And  Mill Creek is still there, but it rarely freezes enough where a person could even walk on it, much less skate around on it.  Thank you global warming for taking that childhood pleasure away from us.

No comments: