Saturday, January 19, 2013

Security Tip Saturday

Identity theft seems to be as big of an epidemic as the flu right now, and I'd like to give a tip that could help you if your information is compromised and your credit/debit card info is stolen. 

If you shop online (like most of us these days) please use your credit card.  If you don't have a credit card and you like to shop online, please get a Capital One or Chase or whatever bank credit card just for online purchases.  If your info gets hacked and someone steals your debit card info and uses it, you will be responsible for the first $500 worth of charges.  If your credit card info gets hacked and someone uses it, you will only be responsible for $50 worth of charges.  That's a HUGE difference. 

I'm borderline anti-credit card, having been raised by parents and grandparents who paid cash for everything. I do have a credit card; actually two - one for me and one in my company name.  But I've paid both off and have zero balances on them.  I use my personal credit card to shop online.  As soon as I order something, I immediately go to my credit card payment website and I pay the amount from my checking account.

So be safe when you shop online and use your credit card, and be sure to pay it off before you get any interest charges.

No comments: