Friday, October 19, 2012

Flashback Friday

My old friend, coworker and faithful reader SH was talking to me today about having to work at her daugther's school's fall festival tonight.  That conversation brought back a bunch of memories from my elementary school's fall festivals.

SH was assigned to work in the pumpkin painting booth tonight. She was hoping for an easy shift and not too many messes. I asked her about the booths that they have at the fall festivals, and she said that the most popular booth is still the cake walk.

Back in the day when I was in elementary school, the cake walk was the most popular booth, too. It was a walking version of musical chairs.  The classroom floor had numbered squares marked off in a circle, and everybody paid the admission and stood on a number and when the music started you started walking around from spot to spot.  It was also my family's favorite fall festival booth.  I remember all five years that I was at Greenwood Elementary School, Mom and Dad and Grandma and Grandpa all attended the fall festival, and we all five played the cake walk, in an attempt to increase our odds of winning.

In addition to attending my elementary school's fall festival, we also attended other fall festivals in the neighborhood, and I'm proud to say we won quite a few cakes over the years at the fall festival cake walk booths.

No comments: