Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I'm Not Sure What To Say

After work today, I went a half mile down the street from our office to see the new grocery store that opened this morning.  It was in the newspaper and on all of the local TV channels because it was a grocery store in the 'hood.  Everyone was thrilled that a grocery store had been built in this barren land, and people in the area have the opportunity to buy as many fresh fruits and vegetables as they want. It was a very cool grocery store.  I didn't feel afraid, even though I'm admitting I was packing while I was in there, but then again since I have my conceal carry license, I pack just about everywhere I go.  So that having been said, I didn't feel "afraid" while I was in the parking lot or in the store, just because I was in an area that is considered the 'hood. 

I'm thrilled for those that will be able to shop there - they produce section of the store was awesome, and I can't wait to go back at lunch time and get something from the deli.  I'm happy that people in that area have a nice big grocery store where they can shop.

At the same time I was visiting the store, less than a mile away, there was an accident involving a motorist and a van full of daycare kids. As of the 6:00 news report, two of the kids on the van had been killed. 

As the title says, I'm not sure what to say.  While the neighborhood was hopefully happy about a new grocery store opening, others in the same neighborhood were angry and hurt that two precious children were killed in their area.

It's just like JFK said; life is not fair.

No comments: