Friday, May 4, 2012

Flashback Friday

Today is Kentucky Oaks Day at the track, and we all know that tomorrow is the big Kentucky Derby.  But today I reminisce back to when I was in elementary school and made my first visit to Churchill Downs.

I was in the third grade, and it was a day like today - the Friday before the Derby.  My neighbor and second grandmother Alice aka Muggs came to school and got me out early and took me to the track. I was all dressed up.  I had on one of my Sunday best dresses, my polished black patent leather Mary Janes and I might have even had a hat and gloves, but that part is a bit cloudy.  I just remember it was a bit cool because I was wearing one of my cool ponchos that Grandma crocheted. 

We got to the track, parked and waltzed in.  I remember thinking that we must have been like the millionaires. We got to our seats and then went back and made our first bets.  Of course I was too young so Alice had to make my bets for me, but I was old enough to be able to read a racing form and could make some decent decisions on my bets. During the year, I would keep a bank up at Alice's, and would put money in there that I'd earned from going to the grocery store for her or doing some odd jobs for them.  That was my betting money.  I also brought some of my allowance that I saved.

I wouldn't trade those days for anything.  That was an annual tradition for Alice and me.  Actually, it was more than annual.  Once during the spring and fall meets, she would come and get me out of school early and we'd head to the track, each time I'd be all decked out in my dress-up clothes, just like I was going to be on Millionaire's Row.

Which brings me to another flashback.  This time, in the mid-90's.  I'd always wanted to go to the Derby but first of all, didn't have connections to get a good seat in the stands and second, I wasn't brave enough or wild enough to spend the day in the infield.  My old friend LB knew I really wanted to go to the Derby in style, and I don't know how she did it, but somehow she got us seats up on Millionaire's Row.  I was truly decked out on that first Saturday in May that we went.  I had on a Kelly green linen suit with a pale yellow blouse and a Derby hat. It was truly a day to remember.  I got some autographs from some celebrities, and have memories that will be with me for a lifetime.  I'm eternally grateful to LB for making that happen.

No comments: