Thursday, May 17, 2012

Farewell, Donna Summer

It is with great sadness that tonight I say farewell to one of my all time favorite singers, the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer.  Donna lost her battle with lung cancer today at the young age of 63.

The majority of her fans did not know that she was battling cancer; she chose to keep her battle private.  That was just another example of what a class act that Donna Summer was. You never heard any scandal or drama about her. 

One of my few regrets in life is that I wasn't a young adult during the disco era in the late 70's and early 80's; I was just in high school and couldn't get into the clubs to watch the disco dancers in action.  But I lived vicariously during the disco era by watching Soul Train, American Bandstand, Midnight Special, Dance Fever, and Don Kirschner's Rock Concert.  All of these shows had the disco queen Donna Summer on their shows many times. And I also wore out my Donna Summer albums.

Donna Summer was a Christian, and I'm sure she's singing right now up in heaven.  You will be missed, the Queen of Disco.  And there will never be another to take your place.  Rest in peace, Donna Summer.

No comments: