Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Day 2010 Observations

Mid afternoon on Thanksgiving Day, I was a little restless, and decided to make a quick shopping trip to the stores in our hood that were open on Thanksgiving Day. Ordinarily I wouldn't go, but since they were working, I thought I'd give them some business. I visited Dollar General Store and got a few bargains, and then moved onto Rite Aid, and bought a cool Charlie Brown Christmas Tree to put in my new office. My last stop was Krogers, where I didn't really need anything; I just wanted to go and see what they had on sale.

I got some cool individual chip and dip bowls for us, and while I was roaming throughout the store I paid close attention to see what sections were sold out. In the entire Kroger store, the only section that was sold out was the sour cream. There were plenty of turkeys, potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes and just about every vegetable you could think of. In the frozen food section there were still plenty of pumpkin pies. But there was no sour cream to be found at Krogers.

This made me ponder. Thanksgiving is a big meal day - not a partying day. I could see where Christmas or New Years there might be a sour cream shortage, because people use it for all kinds of dips, but you don't normally think of needing sour cream for Thanksgiving Dinner.

I paid for my stuff and drove home, all the while still wondering why the big run on sour cream. If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know.

No comments: