Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Day 6 of 10 Album Challenge

Day 6 of 10 Album Challenge: Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette

Jagged Little Pill is one of the top "angry young woman" albums, and it's one of my top ten favorites. Not that I was ever an angry young woman, mind you, but I just love the album.

"You Oughta Know" is the quentissential angry young woman anthem. You might not know this, but Dave Navarro played guitar on this cut, and Flea played bass, and it is one badass song. But I have to go on record (no pun intended) and say that the live version of "You Oughta Know" that Alanis performed on the 1996 Grammy awards was one of the most awesome live performances on an awards show that I've ever seen. She had a string quintest with her on stage, and until then, I had never thought about this song being performed acoustically, but it made the song even more powerful.
The album was nominated for an impressive 9 Grammy Awards, and went on to win 5. As of 2017, Jagged Little Pill has sold over 16 million copies.

No comments: