Friday, November 1, 2013

Flashback Friday

The current crafty trend is the very cool bracelets made out of small colored rubber bands.  They are very popular, especially among the younger girls.  Some schools have banned them because they say they are "distracting", and others have even gone so far as to put a limit on the number of bracelets the kids can wear.  

The rubber band bracelets are made on a plastic loom.  We were talking about these rubber band bracelets at work the other day, when our conversation turned to the old school metal loom as picture above and the resulting pot holders.  You'd take these loops of different colored material (resembling giant, thick, multi-colored rubber bands) and using the loom, you'd weave them into a pot holder.  This was very popular back in the day when I was a kid.  

I loved trying (key word) to make the loop potholders, but I never had the patience to make one.  I would get the loops strung up on the loom, and then get disgusted with it and leave it in the floor, only to step on the loom later and throw a fit when it hurt my foot.  I know for a fact that I personally never completed a potholder; Grandma or Mom would always finish them for me.  I can only imagine that this is probably the same way today with the rubber band bracelet loom. 

No comments: