Monday, July 1, 2013

Anniversary Reflections

Yesterday, the 'Rents celebrated their 55th anniversary.  Yep, they've been married 55 years. We were too busy partying and celebrating yesterday, but today I though quite a bit about it.  On June 30, 1958,  they took a vow and fifty-five years later, they still are honoring that vow.  In this day and age when one out of two marriages ends in divorce, that is something monumental, regardless of the fact that they are my parents.

I guess I'm thinking more about it because currently, two very close friends are having very difficult times in their marriages.  One has been married over twenty years, and the other has been married five years.  One friend has already made the decision and filed for divorce last week; the other is not sure what to do and is still trying to figure out what to do. 

I know that the 55 years my parents have been married haven't always been perfect.  They've had problems to face like anyone.  And during the years that they've been my parents, they've taught me by example the value of unconditional love.

For the past year or more, I've felt somewhat helpless when talking to these two dear friends; I have not been married and I don't have kids, so at times I didn't know what to say to help them.  All I could do is just remind them that I loved them and would support them unconditionally.  I hope that's enough.

No comments: