Friday, July 12, 2013

Flashback Friday

 When I first started to work at ZCO way back in the ancient time of 1989, we had an IBM Selectric typewriter in the department.  In fact, there was at least one in every department. Believe me when I tell you that we all used that typewriter every day.  We would especially use it in the event of an emergency rush sales order; we would bypass the crude computer system that we had, and type up the shipping paperwork in triplicate on the old Selectric.  Wednesday afternoon when the power went out during the big storm, I wished we would have had the old Selectric. 

Yes, I realize it's an electric typewriter, and our power was out, but the power was out only on the first floor of the building; the second floor was up and running thanks to the trusty big Generac generator.  So we could have plugged the old Selectric in upstairs and typed our shipping orders.  Instead a half dozen people were huddled with flashlights trying to print out picking tickets for the next days shipments on a printer plugged into an emergency power supply box out in the factory.  It was quite a site.  As soon as I got home that night I dug out my trusty coal miner's headband light and took it to work the next day.  I'm going to have light in my office even if I have to wear my headband light.  But I digress.  Wednesday afternoon brought back memories of the old IBM Selectric days. 

We still have one old Selectric down on the first floor of the office building in the receptionist's office.  I hoppe she never gets rid of it.

No comments: