Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Chivalry IS Dead

For the past couple of years, I've been playing a secret game.  The old Beemer uses more oil and coolant now, and it's not an uncommon sight to see me in the parking lot at work or store with the hood op pouring in oil or coolant.  Always the one to be prepared, I keep a few quarts of oil and a gallon of coolant in the trunk at all times.  But I digress.  The game I've been secretly playing is to see if anyone is kind enough to stop and ask if I need any help.  You'd be surprised at the results. 

Case in point, three weeks ago.  I was putting some coolant in the BMW in the parking lot at work, and a half a dozen male coworkers drove right past me, looking straight at me, and didn't stop to see if there was a problem or if I needed help.  My high school friends Scott (a coworker) and his wife Sheila (also a classmate) stopped to see if I needed help.  Point proven.  Chivalry IS dead.

The case was proven again earlier tonight.  I went to the store and before heading home took a minute to add some more oil to the engine of the old Beemer.  Once again a half dozen men drove and walked right past me and didn't stop to ask if I needed help. But two women - one older and one younger - both stopped to ask if I needed help.  Their mama's sure raised them right.

No comments: