Saturday, August 13, 2011

Flashback Friday

I apologize for getting involved in a project last night and totally forgetting about Flashback Friday.  Please forgive me.

Below is our old school hand crank juicer/masher.  It's been a valuable part of the kitchen equipment at The Compound since the 50's.  And yep, it still works.  Boy does it work. It works so well that it helped me crank out 13 pints of tomato juice a few days ago.  Anyhoo, I remember my Grandma using this when she made grape jelly.  Sure it was messy but the awesome grape jelly was sure with it. She would stand over the kitchen sink with the masher securely on top of a pan and crank away. 

When the juicing craze first hit about 20 years ago, of course I had to run out and buy an electric juicer.  Believe me when I tell you we used it twice - once 20 years ago when we got it and second a few days ago before we gave up and decided to use the old school hand crank juicer.  Needless to say the electric juicer is now in a box of other stuff for the next DAV pick-up, while the old hand crank juicer still has a lot of life left in it.




No comments: