Wednesday, November 1, 2006

What Happened To The Seasons?

It was a cold, rainy, dreary day in the 'Ville today, and after a day of gloom, I decided to stay home tonight and crash and watch TV.  After getting caught up on three episodes of "All My Children" I started flipping the channels on the TV.  Imagine my surprise when I came across an NCAA basketball game.  I did a double-take, for I was sure that my eyes were playing tricks on me; surely I was watching a local high school basketball game that happened to be televised.  Nope, I was watching a U of L preseason game.   Maybe this journal entry should have been titled "WTF?" instead.  I shook my head in disbelief.  This is November 1 -- NCAA football and the NFL are almost at mid-season; we just ended the MLB season a few days ago; we just started the NHL season a few days ago; the NBA starts its season tonight; and now we also have preseason NCAA basketball.  It's quite exhausting, isn't it?  Add to this the fact that the Breeders Cup horse races are coming up Saturday and throw in NASCAR for good measure and you've got sports coming at us from all sides. 

Whatever happened to definitive seasons of sports?  Baseball used to be in the summer, football used to be in the fall, and basketball used to be in the winter. Now, they all overlap.  I remember hearing that that there is one day a year (I think in the spring) where there are no sports being played.  I'd sure like to know what day that is, because I don't think there is such a thing. 

No comments: