Saturday, November 11, 2006

Happy Veterans Day

It's been one full year since I was initiated and installed into the VFW Ladies Auxiliary.  I don't need to tell you that it's such an awesome organization that works had to give the veterans the respect, admiration, dignity and assistance that they deserve.  This Veteran's Day, I have some help with my tribute to the veterans.  We can basically give credit for today's journal entry to Max.

Max is the son of an old friend who happens to also be a co-worker. He's in kindergarten, and as a class project, they made an autograph book titled "My Veteran Friends." Their project was to visit as many veterans as they could, and have them sign their autograph book with their name, rank and serial number.  Well, not really - all they had to sign was their name, branch of service and the years served.  When my friend told me about this two weeks ago, I told her on the spot that she had to bring Max to the VFW to meet the veterans. 

So this past Tuesday evening, we all went to the VFW.  Actually, the trip started prior - Dad and our neighbor Boots signed his book before we went to the post.  Max was a little shy at first, but when Dad handed the book back to him, Max stuck out his hand for Dad to shake and then you heard a little voice say "Thank you for serving our country."  I'm here to tell you I was weepy.   While Boots was signing the book, he pointed to his Navy picture on the wall, and to the pictures of other family members and explained to Max when and where they served.  And just as he did with Dad, after Boots handed the book back to him, Max reached out and shook Boots' hand and said once again "Thank you for serving our country."  Yep, you guessed it - weepy again.

I had already told the post Commander that we were coming, and he had made some calls to get more people there on Tuesday night.  When we walked into the canteen, the place was packed.  We started with the veterans sitting at the bar, and then made our way through the entire room, and each time the veteran handed Max the book, he shook their hands and told each of them "Thank you for serving our country."  During our hour there, I have to say I wasn't the only one that was weepy.  Commander Donnie and Quarter Master Steve, pictured above with Max, were a bit glassy-eyed, too.

To all our veterans, Thank You for serving our country.

No comments: