Monday, November 6, 2006

DNA Test, Anyone?

I love all of the "CSI" shows, and by the looks of the ratings, so do millions of others.  Each episode, we see the investigators and scientists perform DNA tests on suspects to prove they were or weren't at the murder scene. It wasn't until the O.J. Simpson trial that we first about DNA testing.  According to the current crime shows on TV, it's common as our crime fighters running a license plate or matching a fingerprint.  DNA testing has also become popular on the soap operas.  Every now and then we'll see the our beloved male characters have their DNA tested to prove they are or aren't a baby's father.  DNA testing is used quite frequently on "All My Children."  They love to run DNA tests to find out who kidnapped babies actually belong to. 

The other day, I received a first in my AOL mailbox: a spam email advertising DNA testing.  I'm not making this up for the sake of a good story in TWIT, faithful readers.  It was in deed an ad for DNA testing.  For the low price of $125, I could order a discrete and easy-to-use home DNA test kit.  I'm guessing the kit would include a couple of Q-tips and a Ziploc bag.  You swab the person's mouth and send the Q-tip back to the company and they will do the test at their lab and let you know the results.  Now, if you want a test that is guaranteed to hold up in court, that will cost you more - $230 to be exact.  But it would be court admissable; a small price to pay for genetic testing, if you ask me. 

I think that the writers on "All My Children" might want to start having the characters used home DNA testing kits instead of having the test run at the hospital.  Apparently, switching the tests or tampering with the samples is also as commonplace as having the actual DNA test done. I know I'd rather have my DNA test sent off to a lab via UPS Next Day Air instead of running the risk of one of my enemies getting hold of the sample at the hospital and tampering with it.

No comments: