Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Wipe Me

It's been a rough day.  On top of preparing for the upcoming Storm of the Century that is supposed to hit within the hour, I had a very interesting morning.  I was still reeling from last night's dealing with Medicare's website, plus was mentally preparing for a wild day at work with the upcoming Storm of the Century (which, incidentally, is supposed to hit within the hour.)  It was pouring and messy this morning, and my blue jeans were soaked almost to my knees after just walking out to get the newspaper.  I was cruising along down Cane Run Road, about 5 minutes from work, when something very bizarre and unexplainable happened: my passenger side windshield wiper broke off.  No, it wasn't just the blade; it was the entire wiper arm.  For once, I had a slight bit of good luck - it was the passenger side wiper and not the driver's, so I could still see fine as I made my way to work.  And thank goodness it broke off when the wiper was on the down position.  It didn't scratch my windshield nor the hood of the car; it just broke off and laid in the little gully between the bottom of the windshield and the hood of the car.  I felt like hitting my head against the steering wheel.  All I could see were $$$$.

I got to work, and tried not to think about it until lunchtime.  The entire company was abuzz over first, the new smoking ban that went into effect today in Louisville, and second, over the pending storm.  At lunch I drove across the street to trusty  Senn's Body Shop, and had them check it out.  I was expecting to have to fork over a few C-notes for this one, but I almost fell down in a heap when they told me $89 for parts and labor.  I told them while they were ordering that part, to go ahead and order me a new air deflector (the old one has been cracked since I got the car).  Once again, I almost fell down when they said that would be $11.  I thought for sure they left off a digit or two.  My spirits lifted and I went back to work a happy woman.  That is, until all of the reports started coming in about the pending storm.  I'll deal with rain and wind later; for now, I'm getting off with the cheapest repair so far on the BMW.  It was a good day after all.

No comments: