Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving From Lenora and Me

This has been a great Thanksgiving Day.  I'm thankful for my friends and family, and I'm thankful that I don't have to go to work again until Monday morning.  After sleeping in this morning, I headed downtown and picked up our good friend from church, Lenora, and brought her back to The Compound to spend Thanksgiving Day with us.  She had a ball.  She kept saying over and over how thankful she was to spend the holiday with us, but honestly, I think the blessing was ours to get to spend time with this great lady.  She's in her early 90's and gets around better than us.  She's probably one of the biggest U of L fans that I've ever seen.  Her eyesight has faded, but she still watches every Cardinals basketball game on TV, and listens to the radio for games that aren't televised.  She can tell you every player on Coach Patino and on Coach Patrino's teams, and their positions .

We got back home, and got her settled in at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and a minced meat turnover (a family tradition) and we had a great time talking with her while Mom was fixing dinner.  During our conversation she said "Let me ask you something.  I hear people on TV and radio talking about a blog.  What is a blog?"  I almost dropped the relish tray on the floor.  How cool is this? A 90's something lady asking about a blog?  I explained to her that it was basically an online journal or diary.  Then she asked if I had one.  Dad laughed and told her "Oh yeah, she's got one."  I took her into the back bedroom where the desktop computer is and brought up TWIT for her to see.  She was truly amazed.  Not just amazed at my wonderful display of journalism, but at the whole concept in general - in her words "I'm amazed at how you can write something like that and put pictures out there for everybody in the world to see."  I told her that I agreed with her 100% - I'm still amazed at the internet myself. 

I decided to blow her mind a little bit more.  I told her to smile for the camera, and I took her picture and told her that I would post it in my blog today.   She was really amazed then.  I showed her the picture on the display screen on my camera, and she asked where the picture was.  I took out the tiny disk card and showed her.  I  printed the picture out for her, and had her sit in the chair beside me while I typed this journal entry and uploaded her picture.  She watched in amazement.  She said "I never thought I'd see the day when my picture was on the internet." 

After dinner, we went to the family room and watched TV and then she said "Well, let me ask you another thing.  What is this eBay that they talk about?" This time, I brought the laptop to the family room where she was and showed what it was, and explained it to her.  She said "If I ever need to buy something and can't find it, I'll have you look on eBay for me."  Anything for you, my friend Lenora, anything for you. 

No comments: