Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Wednesday Morning Trash

I saw the weirdest thing this morning on my way to work.  I was stuck in traffic at the usual bottleneck on Cane Run Road, when I saw the driver of the car two cars in front of me throw something out of his window.  In his hand was a bundled up paper towel, the contents of which he threw down on the road by the median.  The driver wasn't a total litterbug - at least he didn't throw down the paper towel, too; he just thre out what was in the paper towel.

I was curious to see what the guy threw out of the window, so when traffic started moving, I crept along so I could get a good look at his trash.  Traffic stopped again and I was right next to the trash so I could get a good look.  Imagine my surprise when I looked down on the road and saw the outer edges of a Pop Tart.  Yep. There scattered on the side of the road were Pop Tart crusts.

You might ask how I knew they were Pop Tart crusts.  Believe me when I say I know my Pop Tarts.  Many a time have I tossed my Pop Tart crusts into the garbage can after eating the insides, complete with the fruit filling and icing.  The driver must have gotten full, or either didn't like the flavor he was eating, because there was at least a couple of bites' worth of filling and icing left on one of the pieces there on the road.

It was just odd.  You usually don't see people throwing trash out of their window when they're stuck in a line of traffic, in full view of all of the drivers behind them; they usually do it when there's nobody behind them.  I guess this guy just didn't want to deal with his Pop Tart leftovers any more.  I hope the black birds enjoyed them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some people have no class when throwing out their trash.  I get dropped off for work at Fourth and Liberty Streets downtown.  This is located at the entrance of Fourth Street Live where giant decorative pots of trees and shrubs adorn the street.  There is a man that smokes outside Brown and Williamson and eats his sausage and egg biscuit from a clear plastic container.  Instead of walking a few steps to a nearby garbage can when he's finished, he stuffs the plastic container in the decorative plant containers.  Lazy, tacky and a flagrant disregard for the patrons and visitors to Live.  Perhaps the Pop Tart man you are referring to is throwing the crusts to "feed" the birds.  At least he could throw the napkin in the back floorboard like I do and clean the trash out of the car on the weekend.  

Anonymous said...

Very interesting that you mentioned "giant decorative pots", MP - are you thinking what I'm thinking???