Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Cyber Monday Night

I try to stay up on current events and trends, but every now and then something sneaks up and catches me totally off guard.  Take "Cyber Monday" for example.  Sure, I'd heard about Black Friday - the day after Thanksgiving, that marks the official beginning of the Christmas shopping season, and also the busiest shopping day of the holiday season.  But this year, I heard about Cyber Monday - the busiest online shopping day of the holiday season.  It was a new one to me. 

I'm sure that bosses all over the country were thrilled when they heard that news - it meant that their employees would be spending most of the day online shopping and that not much would get done on the first day back after the long holiday weekend.  But if other companies are anything like mine,  there wasn't too much shopping going on during the work day yesterday.  With us getting spammed and phished alot at work, and with more and more trouble from viruses, a month or so ago they blocked alot of online sites that we all used to visit - including shopping sites.  We all found out about the blocks about a month ago.  A few co-workers were going off about not being able to get to eBay as I was just sitting down at my desk.  Then reports started to trickle in from all over the company - Zappos.com (an awesome shoe shopping site) was even banned.  So I think most of my co-workers who were planning on shopping during the day had to wait till they got home last night.  Unfortunately, it's a few days till payday so there was no big Cyber Monday shopping frenzy for me last night. 

No comments: