Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Farewell, Merle Haggard

TWIT is saddened to say farewell to the country music legend, Merle Haggard. Merle died today on what was his 79th birthday.  Today is also the anniversary of the death of The First Lady of Country Music, Miss Tammy Wynette.  

Without a doubt, I believe The Hag was one of the best songwriter singers in all of country music.  He was often referred to as "The Poet of the Working Man."  This theme could be heard in "Working Man's Blues", "If We Make It Through December", and "Okie From Muskogee", to name a few.  

I had the opportunity to see The Hag in concert two times.  The first concert I saw him was when he was with George Jones, another legend and in my opinion the greatest male country singer of all time.  But I digress.  Not only did Merle sing the hell out of a song, but he was also a great guitarist and an awesome fiddle player. 

Rest in peace, Merle.  And tonight, I wonder how many of your fans are singing "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down" .

No comments: