Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Oh Happy Day

It was a happy day today.  But yesterday sure didn't start out very happy. 

I woke up at 3:00 yesterday morning and had to go to the bathroom.  As I was walking down the hallway, I noticed it was a bit cool.  I didn't think anything else of it and went on back to bed after conducting my business.  When I got up at 6:30, once again I noticed it was pretty cool in the hallway and bathroom.  I looked at the thermostat and saw that it was 60 degrees in the house.  Yep, the furnace was out. 

I decided that I would wait till I was ready to leave for work before I woke up Dad to give him the great news.  I was surprised, shocked even, that he took it better than I thought.  He and Mom got up and by the time I was pulling out of the driveway, they had a nice fire in the fireplace.  He was the first to say that of all of the days for the furnace to stop, it was one of the better days, with the temps forecasted for the low 60's.  And he also remembered that the furnace was 25 years old.   After discussing the symptoms (very little heat coming out of the register when the furnace kicked on) we both diagnosed it as hopefully the thermostat or blower.

I called our heating and a/c guy, and he said he'd be out by lunchtime, and sure enough, he was there before noon.  Thank the Lord and Trane, because the problem was as simple as you can get: the filters.  Our furnace and a/c is a "pulse" unit.  I have no idea what that means, other than the filters on it are electronic, and they had gone bad.  They simply weren't filtering out all of the gunk they filter, and the gunk caused the blower to get bogged down and not blow. He said they could be replaced with other non-electronic filters, and he put one in and the old Trane unit was good to go.  He said he'd be back in a day or two with two more filters for us for spares, and advised us to replace the filter every six months. 

As I said, thank the Lord and Trane that the problem was just the filter.  And I thank Diva Stacy for telling us about this heating and a/c guy.  A shyster heating guy could have really fleeced us and we would not have known any differently.  They could have said that we needed to replace the blower, or heaven forbid the entire furnace.  But they were very honest, and cheap, too.  

I will continue to sing the praises of Litsey Heating and Cooling, and Trane.

No comments: