Saturday, August 2, 2014

Sauerkraut Update

Five weeks ago, the 'Rents and I started on the Great Homemade Sauerkraut Project.  Since the first day we shredded the cabbage and got it fixed properly in the crock, every few days I would check to make sure there was enough water in it, etc.  It's been a long process, and today was The Day - the day when I would taste it.   

I'm very proud to say that so far, our first (and probably last) try at making sauerkraut is a success.  It's more crunchy than I expected, and it's not as sour as I like my kraut, but it was darned tasty right out of the crock.  The 'Rents tasted and both of them agreed it was pretty darned good.  

We're going to let it ferment for another week and see if that will make it more sour and less crunchy.  Then, we will be ready to either freeze it or store it in jars.  


As always, I'll keep you posted. 

No comments: