Friday, April 20, 2012

Flashback Friday

On the way to work this a.m., the radio station I was listening to said that today was National Record Store Day.  Well, I don't really put much credence into that since the online music stores have forced most of the mom and pop record stores out of business. 

I started to think back on the rich history that I have with buying records.  It started way back in the day at Murphey's five and dime store.  I would buy 45's there, and each week they would have a list of the top 40 songs and albums from the previous week.  Then I graduated to buying albums from TG&Y, a discount department store, and then worked my way up to getting my albums from the very cool Phoenix Records and Shively Records.  I would get my albums and concert tickets from Phoenix Records, and the awesome folks at Shively Records,  Patsy and Sam, would special order any 45, album, tape and eventually CD that I wanted.  It was a very sad day when Shively Records closed its doors.

Now, I get most of my CD's online, where I can order and have them shipped to my home.  Most of the time it's free shipping.  You can't beat that, unfortunately for the few bricks and mortar record/CD stores of today.




No comments: