Saturday, April 28, 2012

Boat Race Anxiety

In case you don't live anywhere close to Louisville and are not in tune with horse racing, Derby week is here.  Yep, a week from today is the Kentucky Derby.  Derby festival events are in full swing already and started last Saturday with Thunder Over Lousville, supposedly the world's largest fireworks display.  I didn't go to Thunder this year, like I've not gone for the past few years, mainly because I just cannot deal with the traffic getting home.  But you also know that I would be very nerved up the week before Thunder, agonizing over whether or not my SFs (School Friends) and I would go. Well, now that anxiety has moved on to Derby week where I get nerved up over whether or not the SFs and I will have our almost-annual Great Steamboat Race Party on the riverfront at Cox's Park. With the screwy weather we've had here in Louisville you can't plan according to the weather forecast.  And it's the same this week.  We don't know if there will be rain or whatever.

I'm the Planner of the group, so I guess that's why I get nerved up more.  People have to plan with their jobs if they want to take off that Wednesday, and alternately they need to plan if they are going to go work on Wednesday instead of taking off.  That part doesn't matter to me - I take the day off regardless.  But there's things to buy and pack, and that gets me nervous.  I'm also the Hauler, so I have to have the Blazer ready to haul everything down to the park.  While that all nerves me up, once we get down to the park and get set up, it's actually one of the most relaxing vacation days I take during the year.  I spend most of the day just sitting in my folding chair watching the river.

We'll just have to wait and see how the weather and everyone's allergies shape up by Monday evening to make an executive decision. 

No comments: