Thursday, December 6, 2007

Partial Justice Is Served

Yesterday was a day that Louisvillians had been waiting for since July - a man was arrested and indicted for the murder of 4 year-old Cesar Ivan Aguilar-Cano.  Louisville Metro Police arrested convicted and registered sex offender Cecil New for Cesar's murder.  Of course, he pled not guilty. 

The murder trial is expected to start in February 2009 - over a year away.  As you know by now, I'm a gambling woman, and I'd give you 2-1 odds that Mr. New will probably not live long enough to make it to his Constitutional-right to a trial by a jury of his peers, thanks to the jail justice system.

I read some message boards tonight, and it bothers me that most of the people that took the time to post a message were focussing on the fact that little Cesar's mother is an illegal alien, and according to some, an unfit mother for letting him play outside unsupervised.  Those are two valid facts, and in my opinion they can't be disputed.  But for now, let's just focus on justice for Cesar, and pray that the Commonwealth's Attorney will be able to present the evidence in such a manner that the jury will find Cecil New guilty so justice for little Cesar can finally be served.  I was sick to my stomach last night when I thought about what little Cesar most likely went through before his death, and wished that the same heinous things could be done to Cecil New.

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I typed a comment that was so long and so intense it gave me a headache.  I decided to erase it and will simply say:

Legal or illegal, fit or unfit, no one deserves this fate.