Monday, December 17, 2007

Farewell, Dan Fogelberg

 

                            

TWIT is sad to announce that Dan Fogelberg has died.  The singer/songwriter was only 56 years old.  He died at his home in Maine on Sunday after a fight with prostate cancer.  Fogelberg is credited with defining the soft rock era of the late 70's and early 80's with his mega hits "Longer" and "Same Auld Lang Syne."

Fogelberg's voice was very soft, and he relied on his poignant lyrics to convey his emotions in his songs.  Another big hit with touching lyrics was "Leader Of The Band" - a tribute he wrote for his father.  Fogelberg wrote another song that wasn't a very big hit across the nation, but remains a huge hit here in the 'Ville - "Run For The Roses" - a song he wrote about thoroughbred race horses and the Kentucky Derby.  The song is a staple on local TV coverage Derby day. 

Dan Fogelberg was one of my favorite singers and songwriters, and his "Souvenirs" album is in my top ten list of all time favorite albums.  I remember saving my allowance and buying the album in 1975 after hearing a friend's dad play "Part Of The Plan" on the guitar.  After I learned to play the guitar, I learned every song on the album and would play along with it at least once a week.  It was probably the first album that I actually listened to in depth - I would study the lyrics and took the time to really listen.  I wore out my first copy of "Souvenirs" and had to buy another.   

You will be missed, Dan Fogelberg, but your music and your memory will live on forever. 

No comments: