Friday, December 28, 2007

Flashback Friday

It's just been three days since Christmas, and I'm sure that a lot of kids are already tired of some of the toys and games they got. Like most kids these days, they get so much that often times they don't even know what all they did get.  I can tell you almost item for item stuff I got Christmas of 1976.  It was one of my favorite Christmases.  I was 13 years old, and it was the year I got a bunch of albums and cassettes for Christmas.  A couple in particular stick out in my memory.

My cousin and his wife knew I was all into music, and they sent me The Eagles "Hotel California" on cassette and Peter Frampton "Frampton Comes Alive" on album.  Mom and Dad gave me a few albums, among which was "Hotel California".  Yep, I had two versions of the same monster hit album, and believe me when I tell you I thought I was all that for having "Hotel California" on album and cassette. That was quite impressive among my circle of friends.  I know I probably drove my family crazy playing "Life In The Fast Lane" over and over, but you know something? Not once did I ever hear them say "Will you turn that down?!!"

That was also the Christmas that I got my first album by Heart, "Dreamboat Annie."  It was also their first album.  I wore it out and saved my allowance to buy another copy.  I had the album memorized, and could sing it frontwards and backwards.  It was digitally remastered earlier this year, and it's as awesome as it ever was, but there's just some little something missing by it not being on good old vinyl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is not relevant to the entry but I saw Celine Dion on The View do a revised version of "Alone" that Heart brought to the charts.  As good as Celine is, I was thoroughly repulsed that she butchered up the song and botched the excitement that only Heart could imbue in such a song of this magnitude.