Sunday, September 4, 2016

Race Relations 101

I went down to the river park tonight to finish my steps for the day, and when I was finished, I went to the pavilion and sat down at the only available picnic table so I could play my Pokemon Go game for a bit.  An African American family was having a picnic/party there under the pavilion and were using the other 4 big picnic tables.  

I sat there and was playing my Pokemon game and gulping down my bottle of water, and a few of the family members came over and asked if I wanted anything else to drink, or if I wanted to partake in their party with some fried chicken and baked beans.  I told them no, but thanked them so much for offering.  I told them I was just on my way home from walking to get my daily steps in and just stopped at the pavilion to play Pokemon.  They even offered me a cocktail with awesome Ciroc vodka.  I thanked them again for the offer, and as I left I told them I hoped we'd meet again down at the river. 

To sum it all up, I was alone and I was the only white woman there under the pavilion, but I wasn't a bit afraid.  And I was thrilled that they recognized me and invited me to be a part of their party.  And to tell the truth -- if I hadn't been still full from my Sunday lunch I would have sure taken them up on their offer for some chicken and a cocktail.

No comments: