Friday, February 6, 2015

Flashback Friday

Way back in the day, I remember how I looked forward to going to the bank on Friday evenings with my Mom, Dad and Grandpa.  Grandma was the smart one, staying home while getting family members to take care of the banking.  But I digress.  Mom and Dad would deposit their paychecks, Grandpa would deposit his and Grandma's Social Security checks at the first of the month or else would get some cash out, and I would be there with my savings account passbook and deposit part of my allowance into my savings account. 

This was the weekly ritual.  Every week, the 'Rents would deposit part of their paychecks and keep cash out, and at the first of the month Grandpa would deposit his and Grandma's Social Security checks and also keep cash out, and I would deposit $1 of my weekly $2 allowance into my savings account.  Yep, I deposited half of my allowance into the bank.  I can't tell you how proud I was of my savings account passbook.  Each week I would go there and give the tell a dollar bill inside of my savings passbook.  She would take the dollar out, stamp the inside of the passbook and then write the amount and her initials and give the passbook back to me.  I thought I was somebody special for having a savings account.  

Fast forward to today, when the majority of people don't have a savings account, and where we are in a time where actual walk-up-to-the-teller's-window banks are almost becoming a thing of the past.  More and more we hear of banks closing branches.  It's just a matter of time before all banking will be done by ATM or over an app on your phone.  But keep in mind you can't get a sucker from your phone app like you can from the teller. 

No comments: