Tuesday, August 23, 2005

There Goes The Neighborhood

I'm sad to report that crime has once again entered out peaceful, quiet 'hood.  Early this morning, police raided a house with a meth lab about 3/4 of a mile from The Compound. The raid happened at about 3:00 this morning, and as 6:00 this evening, they are still there removing the chemicals and paraphernalia.  Imagine our suprise this morning when we found out.  The house is on Greenwood Road, where The Compound is located.  Our company president and old family friend lives directly across the street from the house where the meth lab was.  In fact, my parents and his parents were friends with the family that lived in that house before the meth cooks moved in. 

The police said that the meth lab was "huge", and that it appeared to have been in operation there for "quite some time."  That makes us feel real good.  I think back to all of the times that either Mom or I went up to our friend's house to get his mail and newspaper while he was on vacation.  I was just up there about a month ago. His mail box and paper box are right in front of the meth lab house.  In fact, if traffic is coming, you have to stand in the meth lab house's driveway so you don't get sideswiped by a car before you go back across the road.  I remember looking at the house, thinking how quiet it was there.  Little did I know what was going on behind those brick walls.

I started thinking about the couple that was allegedly making the meth in the house (we must remember that they are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law).  Did I ever pass by them in the store while they were buying a dozen boxes of Sudafed?  Did they go to the Walgreens up on the corner to buy batteries to get the lithium?  Did they go to our Home Depot to buy the big buckets and containers?  I guess I'll never know.  And somehow, even as curious as I am about things like this, I don't think I really want to know.

No comments: