Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Day Of Prayer For New Orleans

For those of you expecting to read something funny or sarcastic, or read about something bizarre that happened on the way home yesterday, I hope you're not disappointed.  Something did happen last night, but it wasn't really bizarre, and it wasn't funny.  I spent most of the evening quiet (hard to believe, I know) and at times, sick to my stomach, as I thought about the devasation in New Orleans and the other cities hit hard by Katrina.  Before I went to bed, I heard on the news that the main levee had broken in New Orleans, and soon the entire city would be flooded.  Louisiana's Governor has asked that today be a national day of prayer for New Orleans and it's people. 

I'd like to ask you, my faithful readers, to take the time that you would have spent reading an entry in TWIT and use those minutes to pray for those affected by the hurricane. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been to the Salvation Army website and sent a donation.......it is just so sad the devasation........and it will take a long time to rebuild this city and the lifes of many.  Mercy, we don't realize how lucky we are most days do we?

Anonymous said...

I am astounded that it took four days for the leaders of the most wealthiest nation to bring forth massive aid to those poor dehydrating souls.  Of course, the arriving caravans of troops, buses, bottled water and MRE's coincided just at the precise moment that President Bush was scheduled to visit New Orleans.  The delayed rendering of government assistance makes me apprehensive of future catastrophic events such as a repeat of the 1974 tornadic supercell afternoon that devastated so many states or the potential upheaval of the New Madrid fault.  I guess that preparedness in our own homes is a necessary priority in these times of uncertainty.