Saturday, June 4, 2005

So Much For National Doughnut Day

Today, I feel like a little kid on the afternoon of Christmas Day - is that all there is?  My co-workers and I were all excited over National Doughnut Day, and it was a total bust. Well, it wasn't a total bust - we did get doughnuts, but they weren't entirely free. 

The ad on the Krispy Kreme site said "come to participating Krispy Kreme retail stores on June 3rd and to express our appreciation for your support, we'll give you a free doughnut of your choice."  There was no fine print on the ad, and no visible stipulations.  During his lunch break, my co-worker Greg went to our local KK store, just minutes from work, to get his free doughnut.  Imagine his surprise when the clerk told him that he could only get a free doughnut with a purchase. In keeping with the spirit of National Doughnut Day,  he was kind enough to buy a dozen doughnuts for us at work. Then he asked for his free doughnut.  The clerk gave him a regular ol' glazed doughnut.  What about the "free doughnut of your choice?" he asked her.  The clerk said all he got was one free glazed.  He gladly accepted it nonetheless, but walked away from the 7th Street Krispy Kreme deflated.

This was the topic of conversation for the rest of the day at work.  Another co-worker said she was going to call one of the local tv stations and complain about this; the channel had advertised the free-doughnut-of-your-choice promotion on their morning news show. 

I guess I really have no cause to complain about this - I got my free doughnut of my choice yesterday (raspberry filled).  My co-worker Greg is the one that should be griping about this - he's the one that was victim of fradulent advertising.

No comments: