Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Shake Your Groove Thing

I was flipping through the channels the other night, and paused for a few moments on CNN.  No, the news story wasn't about the Michael Jackson trial nor about Natalee Holloway; it was an interview with Shaira, the South American singing sensation.  Shakira is currently touring, promoting her new album "Fijacion Oral" ("Oral Fixation), her first album in Spanish since 1998.  If you haven't seen Shakira peform before, her stage show is quite, uh, energetic.  She gyrates like a middle eastern belly dancer.  No disrespect to The King, but Elvis' gyrations on the Ed Sullivan Show ain't got nothing on this girl. 

I'm hardened with it comes to alot of things on tv and in the movies, and it usually takes something pretty strong to make me raise an eyebrow, but when CNN showed a clip from Shakira's new video, I was stunned.  She was gyrating all right. It looked to me like she was belly dancing while she was laying on the floor.  The guy on top of her looked like he was belly dancing, too. 

In the interview, she talked about her new album, and was proudly showing off a new addition to her repertoire of dance moves.  The new move: shaking her chest.  She said that she had already shaken everything else, and it was the only thing left for her to shake on stage.  Does this mean since she has now fulfilled her obligation to shake everything she could possibly shake, when this tour is over she'll just pack it all up and go back home to Colombia?

I did some quick research on Shakira and discovered a couple of things that really surprised me. Shakira has an IQ of over 140.  If my memory is correct, I think that's close to the "genius" category.  Shakira also speaks fluent Spanish and Arabic, and is currently working on her English. With things like that on her resume, I don't think Shakira would have a hard time starting another career if she wants. 

No comments: