Friday, June 11, 2021

Happy Birthday, White Castle

 I wanted to get out of the office today for lunch so I took a quick trip to White Castle.  When I got back to work and was eating my sliders, I noticed that the bag, soft drink cup, and the cardboard boxes all said that it was White Castle's 100th birthday.  I admit I did not Google it so I don't know the exact date, but as of 2021 they are 100 years old.  They might be one of the oldest restaurants still in business, if not the only one.  Regardless, being in business for 100 years is damned impressive.  

I remember my Sweet Mother telling about when she was a kid, they would get the Sunday newspaper for the sole reason of getting a coupon for 5 cent White Castles.  

My favorite White Castle memory involves a family that was just like my second parents and siblings.  We would drive up to their house and then we'd all pile into the dad's work van (he was a TV repairman) and along with a Coleman cooler full of iced down RC Colas, we'd head to the White Castle about 20 minutes away.  Back then to a kid, it seemed like a half a day's drive.  

Here's to another hundred years, White Castle.  

No comments: