Thursday, August 8, 2013

You're Welcome

I stopped on the way to work this morning to pick up a dozen donuts for a coworker's birthday, and when I paid at the drive-thru window and the clerk gave me my change, I said "thank you."  The clerk said "No problem."  At first, I didn't think anything about it.  But as the day progressed and the more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. 

What happened to people saying "You're welcome" when someone tells them "Thank you."? 

I don't think I can pinpoint when it happened, but it sure did.  Even in person at restaurants or fast food places, you almost never hear someone tell you "You're welcome" when you say "Thank you."  I don't know why  it bothers me, but it just does.

I think it's part of the current generation - all they know about is texting and communicating in abbreviated words and sentences, and they've morphed out of knowing when you need to say "You're welcome." 

When I hear "No problem", to me, that means that there could have possibly been a problem but it's not a problem now.  Sure, that's an exagerration, but I hope you get my drift.  We've got a generation that does not know to say "You're welcome" when someone thanks them.  How sad.

No comments: