Monday, August 26, 2013

A Lesson About Maw

As I've mentioned before, I work in the 'hood, and less than a mile from work is a new, very cool grocery store, deeper in the 'hood.  They have all kinds of cool soul foods, and it is the cleanest, well-stocked grocery store that I patronize. 

I went to this store today after work to buy some jowl bacon, and while looking for the jowl bacon, I saw packages of chittlins, pigs feet and even pigs ears.  And I also saw packages of something that had me stumped.  The packages were labeled "hog maws".  Now, everyone knows (or they should know) that a true hog maw would be called a sow.  Bug I digress.  The package looked very flat, and looked like nothing but a package of skin. 

I couldn't wait to get home to Google it and see what it was.  I was surprised to find out that hog maws is the lining of the stomach of a hog.  I was more surprised to find out that if it is cleaned properly, it is has almost no fat.  I'm not going to try it out, but I was glad I learned something today.

No comments: