Friday, August 2, 2013

Flashback Friday

This is a personal flashback today.  I thought back to this day in 1992.  I was still in the hospital after my wreck, and this day was the pivot point on my recovery and rehab.  It was a Friday, like today.  I had been in the hospital for almost a week, and the time was about 8:00 or so; I remember the time because "Family Matters" with Steve Urkel was on and it was the show I was watching in my hospital room. 

I had a bad day with the physical therapist.  They came on Friday morning and took me to therapy and gave me a pair of crutches and told me that I had to learn to use the crutches before they would discharge me.  The first therapy session was Friday morning and it ended in tears.  I was in a lot of pain from my hip area where they took a piece of bone to put in my foot.  The second therapy session didn't go much better; I still had a lot of pain in my hip area, but I did manage to use the crutches to go up and down two steps in the therapy area.  Back in my room, I was disgusted.  I called home and talked to Dad (who had just left my hospital room just a couple of hours earlier when he and Mom were there visiting).  He gave me the attitude adjustment that I needed.  He told me to "suck it up".  It wasn't what I really wanted to hear, but I'm glad he said it.  After I hung up the phone, I called for a nurse.  When she got to my room, I asked her to hand me my crutches because I wanted to take a walk.  Then she and I proceeded to walk, albeit slowly, down the hallway, but I was moving on my crutches.  And I was discharged the next day.

No comments: