Monday, December 31, 2012

2012, You Weren't So Bad

Events That Happened In 2012 That Had An Impact On Me

January - Being "promoted" to the head of security and safety at church. It is an honor and a privilege to serve my church in this capacity.  In case you didn't know, church security is an area that I am passionate about.

February - Going to the movies twice in one week.  As you know, I rarely even go to the movies once a year.  So going twice in one week was a record.  And on a related note, I went again in July.  Three times in one year - that's a pretty big record to break.

March - Devastating tornados hit in southern Indiana and in eastern Kentucky.  Those with smart phones watched weather apps and followed the storm, and at work, we all went to the inner hallways on the first floor until the storm passed through Louisville.  My office was Headquarters - I had Dopplar radar up on my computer and had my little portable digital TV on for up-to-the-minute coverage from the weatherazzi.  This stressed the need to be prepared.

April - The Fifty Shades Of Gray frenzy was everywhere.  And I will confess that I, too, jumped on the bandwagon and bought the books just to see what the fuss was about.  Even though the series sold a bizillion copies, I was disappointed that I lost time in my life reading the books and wish I'd spent the time reading something else.  And let me go on record and say that I hated one of the main characters, Anastasia. 

May - We lost the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer, after a courageous bout with cancer.  I have always loved Donna Summer, and her death had more of an impact on me than Whitney Houston's.  Donna was a class act, had a beautiful voice, and she was the Queen of Disco.  She was also a Christian, and I hope that the Lord will her sing for me in heaven when I get there.

June - I attended four funerals in four weeks.  All four were sweet old ladies that I loved dearly, and each had an impact on my life as a teenager and as an adult.

July - I endured what I believe was the worst heatwave that I've experienced in my 49 years.  We would watch TV at night with the lights off, in hopes that it would make the room a degree or two cooler.  And we, along with thousands and thousands of others, kept a watchful eye on the air conditioner and the thermostat.  Being one that likes it cool, even I thought 80 degrees in the house was cool when it was 107 degrees outside. 

August - I entered green beans in the fair that I picked and canned myself.  Of course I had some help from the 'Rents, but I did it.  I didn't win a ribbon, but I tried.

September - I was able to visit with a dear old friend of the family during a trip to Evansville.  I hadn't seen her in probably 10 years, and it was as if no time had passed at all. She is also a true class act, and is a great example of a Christian who practices what she preaches.

October - For two long weeks, we didn't know if Mom had broken her foot or not.  I did an awful lot of praying those two weeks, and the Lord answered the prayers and there was no signs of any breaks in the second set of x-rays.  It had an impact on me not only because of her not being able to walk on her foot, but also because of the power of prayer.

November - The train derailment about 5 miles from The Compound had us all nerved up for a couple of weeks until the cars carrying the hazardous chemicals had been stablized and moved.  Once gain, this shows the need for us to be prepared and have an emergency kit with a few days of clothes, meds, and other necessities ready in case you have to evacuate.

December - The senseless, horrific shootings in Newton, Connecticut.  This affected everyone - gun owners and anti-gun people alike.  This will affect me for a long, long time.

No comments: