Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Yukon Cornelius, At Your Service

In case you didn’t know, I am remote-control challenged. I have the hardest time with the big gray Insight Cable remote control. So it was no great surprise when, a few weeks ago, I DVR’d the wrong show.  I intended to DVR something from the Food Network and instead ended up with an episode of “Doomsday Preppers.” I hate reality shows, but I was intrigued, so I watched the show. In case you haven’t seen or heard of it, the show is a documentary about people who are beyond obsessed with preparing (“prepping”) for some major disaster. The disasters run the gamut from an earthquake along the New Madrid fault that could split the country literally in half to radiation in the air from the nuclear reactor meltdown in Japan. Every one of the doomsday situations the people are prepping for all include civil unrest and martial law. So while these people are amassing enough food to feed their families for years and years, they are also stockpiling ammo and weapons.


As I was watching “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” last night with the ‘Rents, it dawned on me that Yukon Cornelius could have been a preppers. To substantiate my claim, check out this quote from Yukon: “Now I'm off to get my life-sustaining supplies: cornmeal and gun powder and ham hocks and guitar strings.” Yep, Yukon was a prepper.







No comments: