Friday, October 3, 2008

Flashback Friday

Fall has arrived in the Ohio Valley, and has brought with it cooler temperatures.  This week, the lows have been in the upper 40's and low 50's all week long.  I've worn a light jacket to work every day this week - a sure sign that it is in deed getting cooler, because I'm probably the most hot-blooded person there is, so when I wear a jacket you know it's cold.

On the way to work this week, the first true sign of cooler weather appeared -- people and kids waiting at the bus stops had on their heavier coats.  I'm not talking windbreakers like I wore to work this week - I'm talking big coats.  It reminded me of when I was a kid and cooler weather would sneak up on us.  As a kid, I hated wearing coats, mainly because even as a kid I was hot natured.  After incessant whining about being too hot in my coat, my parents and grandparents finally got the hint and would dress me in lighter coats in the mornings before I would head out to the bus stop. 

As an adult, I often hear friends and co-workers complain about their kids leaving their coats on the school bus or in their lockers.  My parents can vouch for me on this, but I can honestly say that I never left my coat on the bus or in my locker.  Even though I couldn't stand to be hot, I always remembered to bring my coat home even if I wasn't wearing it.  I've known co-workers who have had to buy 3 or 4 winter coats for their kids because they keep forgetting them and losing them at school.  Maybe they're hot natured kids like me. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was young, I never wore a heavy coat.  It would drive my mom nuts, LOL.  I could get away with a windbreaker.  I miss the ohio valley...my grandparents retired from Alliance.